Monday 4 March 2019

3/2/2019 - It's still snowing, what else is new

Today, instead of complaining about the snow like I usually do, I decided to make the most of it by wearing one of my many Mary Magdalene wool pieces.



This particular tartan piece has more of a December feel, but honestly it still feels that way with temperatures still hovering slightly above 0 F (-17.7 C for the sensible countries).



I also love the grommets in the back. While most pieces don't need this detail, it makes the lacing a lot sturdier, and gives me confidence it won't split during my brunch binge!

I also wore an Axes Femme cutsew, and after a lot of trying hats on, decided to go with a simple rosette (also by Mary Magdalene) instead. The Peppermint Fox pieces were a nice addition, if not a bit out of season as everything is dead outside and thus she can't actually go out collecting mushrooms.



We went to brunch at the Boiler Room, a nice little cozy joint in downtown, located in a downstairs basement. I resisted the whole gimmick of making my own Bloody Mary and had some coffee instead. It was all right, a little burnt but I got free refills which was greatly appreciated.



My boyfriend decided to not be square and get a stroganoff. Since I love conformity with brunch norms, I got a crabcake hollandaise, a spin on the classic eggs hollandaise.



Yes, that was 16 USD, plus tax and tip.

My boyfriend got a much more generous serving of pasta for the same price, probably because it costs less than crabcake.



Overall, it was a decent meal. Despite my gripes about the size of my serving, it was quite filling. I still think it's overpriced for what it was. The crabcake was a little tough and dry, and the sauce was quite cheese heavy. I did not taste the stroganoff, but my boyfriend called it "a good balance of meat and starch. It could have used more mushrooms." All in all, I'd give the place 4/5 for atmosphere, 3.5/5 for food. As a new American place and as brunch place, I've had much better food. But it does have a 'quiet noisy' atmosphere, clean tables, and even in our small high table, we felt at ease and relatively secluded in the place.

Afterwards, we went playing Pokemon Go with a few other familiar faces. For those of you living under a bigger rock than me, Pokemon Go is a mobile game based off the wildly popular franchise. Their gimmick is attaching pokemon, gyms, and even legendary pokemon battles to landmarks. I've learned a lot about my city this way, and I actually have become much better at navigating!

I tend to have very low key weekends. I wake up quite late to begin with, and lolita can sometimes take a while to get into. But I think the most important thing is to be relaxed and have fun, especially if you have tough weekdays! What are your weekend days like?

2 comments:

  1. I love the simple look of this turtleneck with the JSK. Certainly looks warm and cozy, as well as comfortable. Wish more pieces would have grommets when they do corset lacing, it makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was pretty cozy but I forgot to put another layer underneath, which would have made things even warmer haha. I sort of wish that as well - I know Excentrique included them a lot, but even with classic brands like Mary Magdalene and Victorian Maiden, it's hit or miss. Makes me miss Excentrique even more now....

      Delete